Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Time Travel Tuesday 2013

Welcome to the end of Marking Period 3.  I wanted to touch base with you now since I do not know how long it will take me to have Internet access in Texas.

 I know many eighth graders start to show signs of sadness during the final marking period since leaving Brackman is so bitter sweet. You want to move on to bigger and better things as a high school student, but you are leaving the comfort and security of your middle school years too. It's tough.

Well, I hope your last marking period will be the start of a new and exciting journey though language arts literacy. Even though you are reading a drama now in class, I decided to deviate from Theatrical Thursday and go back to one of my favorite topics, Time Travel. After all, you are reading about the past. I'd like to see how creative you can be by starting some ideas here for an historical fiction short story. After standardized testing is finished, you will be able to devote more time to writing original short stories. The blog is a perfect place to try out some ideas.

Time Travel Tuesday will allow you to use your imagination and jump back into a time in the past that interests you. Imagine yourself in the 1940's. Maybe you want to create a story of a German soldier or maybe a young Jewish boy caught in the termoil. Since you are reading Anne Frank's diary, I think WWII would be a perfect place to start your time travel.

Here are some pictures to get you started. Feel free to write the opening paragraph of an original short story based on one of the pictures or maybe describe a character complete with feelings and emotions. Description of setting will work here too. Just remember the time reference, somewhere in Europe or the Pacific ---circa 1940. You decide.
This is me with the Yellow Star. I had to carry this picture around with my identity card.This is me with the Yellow Star. I had to carry this picture around with my identity card.

Types of WWII Navy Ships






Child survivors of the Holocaust filmed during the liberation of Auschwitz concentration camp by the Red Army. January, 1945You have some things to think about. Which direction will you take your story? Will you write about an army man, a woman who supports the troups, or a Jewish child in a concentration camp? You can even take on the task of being a world leader making the decisions. You decide.

10 comments:

  1. TAGSCHLAG-SCHLAG! "Aufmachen! Raus aus dem Haus!" Sie waren endlich da. Seit einigen Tagen haben die Nazis in Kopenhagen besetzt. Viele Juden sind geflohen. Meine Familie war eine der letzten Familien verlassen. Mein Herz raste, als ganz plötzlich ... TAG

    ReplyDelete
  2. TAGSCHLAG-SHOCK! "Open up! Get out of the house!" They were finally here. For several days the Nazis in occupied Copenhagen. Many Jews fled. My family was one of the last families to leave. My heart raced, as suddenly... this is the translation of grant`s post as curtesy of google translate.
    Michael Maffucci

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... the gusstappo afficer barged through the door, flanked by 5 nazi silders, in their dark grey, stiff canvas uniforms. they slammed into my family and i and dragged us out to their truck, schakling us as we went. we were thrown into the back of the truck and it went speeding away. finally the truck stopped some time later, revealing... TAG
    Michael Maffucci

    ReplyDelete
  4. A continuation of grants...

    ... Ein Flugzeug flog über den Kopf. Dann hörten wir einen großen Knall, und das Zimmer schüttelte. war es die Alliierten. waren sie endlich da. das Klopfen hörte dann auf. meine Familie und ich dann ...TAG.
    Donovan Lilley

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Grant...I love your use of German. How appropriate. It was fun translating too. I remembered more than I had thought.

    @ Michael.....Good job on the continuation. I hope there are more to come.

    @ Donovan....Well, let me try again to give you a loose translation from my knowledge of German. Something hit you over the head. Then you heard a big sound or crash and the door slammed. Was it the soldiers? Were they finally here? The sound is heard all around. My family and I.....

    Well, how did I do?

    Thanks all y'all for commenting. More to come, I hope.

    Mrs. Prisbell

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will miss you...
    -period 8/9

    ReplyDelete
  7. We miss you
    -period 8/9

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh! I miss you too, Period 8/9. Keep me updated with news and interesting happenings and all things funny. I need some good one liners to make me laugh :)
    Sincerely,
    Mrs P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does Mrs. Rollice have access tot the blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has access to the blog including Mrs Rollis, Mr Fiorentino, Mr LaGrou etc. Whether they choose to read or comment is up to them.
      FYI
      Mrs P

      Delete