Saturday, December 29, 2012

Tradition Tuesday

This great idea for this week's blog post came from a student from last year's class.

I am sure you all have interesting traditions for this time of year. Please describe how your family celebrates the holidays. For years my family enjoyed special sandwiches that we would make ourselves. We called them "sloppy Joe" sandwiches. These were always reserved for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve celebrations. Can anyone describe this special sandwich? Just so you know, it does not contain any ground beef. When I was young, my brother and I used to spend all evening on New Year's Eve cutting up old newspapers to make confetti. At the stroke of midnight, we would go out in the street and throw it around. We made sure we had pots and pans to bang together too. Our parents always had a party so there were many young kids there to join our party in the street.

Tell us about your holidays. Who, what, where, when, why can all be used to describe your celebrations. Don't forget to include how far back in your family this tradition can be traced. Was it the same celebration that your grandmother would have had or your great-grandmother or back and back and back? How has your family's tradition developed or changed? I think you would need to ask your parents about their holidays when they were little to answer that question.

Do a little family research before you post your comments. We can talk about Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. I look forward to hearing from you all.

"Perhaps the best Yuletide decoration is being wreathed in smiles."



menorahhomemade kwanzaa decorations




Traditional Diwali for Hinduism


The Ball was a geodesic sphere, six feet in diameter, and weighed approximately 1,070 pounds.


Did anyone have a tradition involving snow? Our family did. Let's hear yours.



  • 13 comments:

    1. It seems that no one cares about school during breaks so I'm finally the first post! ^-^
      My family usually decorates the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve and then visits my cousin's house to meet up with other family. The next day, we wake up on Christmas morning early but we do not open presents until around 11 am when our parents finally wake up. That means four hours from when we wake up to when we open gifts, but this year it took longer because both my parents had the flu. Luckily neither me or my siblings caught the virus. Just before we start opening gifts we have our grandparents come over, the we open gifts, play with them, and later that day we go back to our cousin's house to open gifts from the other family we met 24 hours ago. Now we used to have huge snowball fights but not anymore since the snow just doesn't feel like falling down, so we now instead sit around like couch potatoes eating cookies and drinking hot cocoa. It turns out really nice, joyful, and just the way it should be but without any action.
      (I used "our's" after I said siblings to show that it isn't only my cousin or grandparents)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you so much, Connor, for your comment. Your tradition does sound relaxing. I certainly hope your parents are feeling better soon. Speaking of snow.... I am in Dallas, Texas for the holidays and we did have a white Christmas here. What a surprise! Enjoy the next few days and Happy New Year to you and your family.
      Mrs. P

      ReplyDelete
    3. well, one tradition that my necular family and i share is eating chineese food an christmas eve night after church. and having cinnamion buns on christmas morning.
      Michael Maffucci



      ReplyDelete
    4. Merry Christmas Connor, Michael, and Mrs. Prisbell!
      Connor I sure hope your parents are doing much better! Sounds like you had an enjoyable and relaxing holiday. Michael we had Chinese for New Year's Eve tonight. My favorite are fried dumplings. Mrs. Prisbell I hope your travel goes smooth, I am envious. For Christmas morning we get up at 7am to open presents, my kids would never be able to wait till 11. For the past 4 years I have been preparing a special breakfast dish my girls love. It's a recipe I got from one of our ROBMS secretaries, Mrs. Covine, called "French Toast Casserole". Then late it's an older tradition, for all of my 45 years at least, where we meet with my mother's 12 brothers and sisters. They all have kids, my cousins, who are older now with their own children like myself. There is approximately 80 people! It is really cool to see my children running around wih all the other kids there of all kinds I ages as I did when I was their age. It's family traditions that make for awesome memories to cherish forever.
      Happy New Year!
      Mr. Fiorentino :)


      Sent from my iPhone

      ReplyDelete
    5. Thanks for posting your comment, Michael, and a very special thank you to Mr. Fiorentino as well. As you can see, nothing is better than getting together with family of all ages for holiday celebrations.
      I fly home tomorrow morning. I have another post planned to celebrate rhe coming new year. Please checking back. See you all soon.
      Mrs. P

      ReplyDelete
    6. Snow... in Texas, and we received none for several Christmases. On the plus side, my house wasn't freezing nor did any of us even step outside. I cannot wait until 2013 but I'll gladly wait a whole other month before going back to school, it's all the homework I never want to see again.

      ReplyDelete
    7. @Connor.... You made me laugh with your comment about homework. I will keep that in mind when all come back to class. Enjoy your celebration.
      Mrs P

      ReplyDelete
    8. Some of the traditions that my family have include eating a breakfast of fruit, egg and sausage casserole, potato quiche, and muffins. My grandmother brings the whole breakfast on christmas eve and she and my grandfather always spend the night. My other grandmother always gives us an advent calendar for the month so my sister and I get a little gift in the morning until christmas day. Then for christmas dinner we either eat at our house or go up the block to our cousines and have dinner there, every year we rotate between the 2 houses. On new years we dont have a set place to always be, but one thing we always do is go outside after midnight and scream, bang pots and pans, and make as much noise as posible until we get too cold to go on.

      ReplyDelete
    9. @Joe..... I love your midnight tradition for New Year's Eve. The only thing I would add to that would be the hours we spent cutting up newspapers to make confetti to throw around the lawn too. It was so much fun!
      It is also nice that your family is so close.
      Mrs P

      ReplyDelete
    10. I have achieved my most ambitious goals, yet I am hunted. I have created success in every aspect of my life, yet I am feared. Why you ask? Our whole lives we spend holding back, imagine how quick we can succeed if we just take what we desire.

      ReplyDelete
    11. @Voice of Reason.... You are scaring me.

      Mrs P

      ReplyDelete
    12. @Voice..... I love a challenge! I first considered Albert Eienstein but I now think it may be Steve Jobs. Comment?
      Mrs P

      ReplyDelete